Re: Spitfire Transmission Problems

To: "schuyler grace" <schuyler@bellsouth.net>, <triumphs@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: Re: Spitfire Transmission Problems
From: "Ralph Jannelli" <rjannelli@uncc.campus.mci.net>
Date: Thu, 19 Mar 1998 10:59:28 -0500charset="iso-8859-1"
I have exactly the same problem!! I put a single rail O/D tranny in my '72
MKIV Spit a year and a half ago, and have had the slipping problem you
describe exactly. Pulled the tranny once checked everything in the clutch
and had the rebuilder check the tranny. He replaced the cone clutch saying
the material thickness was OK but color of the lining was a little dark. Put
the tranny back in and NO DIFFERENCE. I am convinced that Richard Jackson
has in right about the one way clutch, it is the only explanation that makes
sense to me. I will pull the tranny again sometime this spring and insist
that the one way clutch be replaced. Let me know if you find anything else
out that might be helpful.
Just a last thought - If Richard is right was there ever any kind of service
bulletin? Are there know serial number ranges that might identify faulty
tranny's?

Ralph Jannelli
'65 Spit MKII
'72 Spit MKIV