Re: Spitfire Transmission Problems

To: schuyler grace <schuyler@bellsouth.net>, triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: Spitfire Transmission Problems
From: tomomalley@hey.net (Tom O'Malley)
Date: Wed, 18 Mar 1998 22:53:33 GMT
Schuyler writes...

>I don't have a clue (duh!).  I can't imagine anything in the
>transmission that would cause such an (intermittent) problem.  If the
>gears weren't meshing properly, I'd think there would be either more
>noise or no pull at all or both.  Could it be the overdrive, even though
>it isn't engaged?

Weird.  I agree about the transmission proper as it needs to be either
in gear or not.  Anything else would be *very* noisy and not likely to
last five years.

Regarding the clutch, I've often wondered what would happen if someone

resurfaced the flywheel without taking a like amount from the pressure
plate mounting boss.  This step requires the machine shop to press out
the locating studs.  Just thinking out loud here...never heard of this
happening.

Sticky clutch hydraulics?  Perhaps.  Or even some combination of worn
pivot bushings in the release mechanism allowing things to bind
occasionally.  I dunno...the OD unit sounds like a prime suspect but I
have no experience here...anyone else? :-)

Tom O'Malley
'74, '77 Spits