Re: Clutch bleeding problem?

To: Edward Hamilton <hamilton@ptd.net>
Subject: Re: Clutch bleeding problem?
From: Malcolm Walker <walker05@camosun.bc.ca>
Date: Wed, 18 Mar 1998 10:27:27 -0800 (PST)
Cc: Triumphs Mail List <triumphs@Autox.Team.Net>

On Wed, 18 Mar 1998, Edward Hamilton wrote:

> I followed the recent thread on clutch bleeding -- knowing it to be on
> the list of things that the '80 spitfire keeps me around for.  While
> replacing the clutch, pressure plate and release bearing, I rebuilt the
> slave cylinder (which was leaking.)
> After following various list members instructions for clutch bleeding, I
> remain with a soft pedel.  It's currently at a point where fluid drips
> out when the bleed screw is opened, but pedel action doesn't seem to be
> pushing anything -- there's just no resistance at all.
> Everything worked fine prior to the dissambly, so...I'm assuming its not
> a master cylinder problem?  Appreciate all replys.

If all the fluid got drained out of the system, chances are you have a
pocket of air that is refusing to move.

My dad's Cortina had this happen after the brakes were refurbished.  To
fix you wrap a rag around the fitting on the master, pressurize the
system, and 'bleed' the fitting- undo it enough to get fluid to come out,
then do it back up.

Hope it works, and be careful with DOT4 on paint...

-Malcolm

PS you may also want to try blocking the control arm, so that nothing
moves when you bleed the hydraulics.