Re: automatic transmissions

To: James <james.carpenter@ukaea.org.uk>
Subject: Re: automatic transmissions
From: Joe Curry <spitlist@gte.net>
Date: Tue, 17 Mar 1998 09:29:29 -0800
Cc: Triumphs Mail List <triumphs@Autox.Team.Net>
James,
I think you are talking about the "Free Wheeling Device that Saab
designed in the mid-60's.  It was a very unique piece of technology.  It
consisted of a shaft/cylinder affair with roller bearings riding in
their own channels. The device was fitted between the transmission and
the engine.  When the transmission was turning faster than the engine,
the rollers would turn freely and separate the tranny from the engine.
But when the engine turns faster than the tranny, the rollers would
attempt to travel up a ramp and become lodged in the space at the top,
thus locking the engine and tranny together.

The whole affair could be engaged or disengaged according to driver
preference.  The effect was to enable the driver to shift all 4 gears up
or down without touching the clutch.  It was great for long trips, as it
increased fuel mileage, but very precarious in mountain driving where
gearing down is helpful.

If anybody else can provide a better description of the device, I
welcome comment.

Joe Curry

--
"Thanks to the Interstate Highway System, it is now possible
 to travel across the country coast to coast without seeing