Re: Starting Engine after 5 years ?

To: Lawrence R Zink <zink@pdq.net>
Subject: Re: Starting Engine after 5 years ?
From: "Michael D. Porter" <mdporter@rt66.com>
Date: Mon, 09 Mar 1998 01:49:19 -0800
Cc: MR DANIEL R CAREY <QAZX57A@prodigy.com>, triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Lawrence R Zink wrote:

> Pull all spark plugs and shoot a couple of squirts of oil in each cylinder.

Five years is a pretty long time, especially if it's unknown what
preparations were made to protect the engine previously. I bought a
parts car a few years ago, and since the engine was more or less
complete, thought I see if I could get it going. Hadn't been started at
all in six years, and I knew, from previous repairs, that nothing'd been
done. I pulled the plugs, filled each cylinder with Marvel Mystery Oil
(just to make sure oil would work its way past the rings and pistons,
put the plugs back in and let it sit for a couple of weeks. Came back
later, pulled the plugs, turned the engine over two or three revs to
push residual oil out, fixed the points (the reason why it wouldn't run
in the first place), then cranked it with the plugs out to build up a
little oil pressure, then put in new plugs.

> Make sure you have fresh gas in tank and that it is reaching the carbs.

Since the car had been sitting so long, I took the added precaution of
putting the pump inlet line in a plastic gas can and hand priming it,
just in case there was lots of crud in the filter and rust in the tank.
Started right up.

> Ck that the fuel lines are not rotted.  Might be a good idea to replace
> plugs and wires since they will be out for first step.  Change oil and
> filter.
> Make sure clutch disc is not rusted up in gear.   Hook up new, fully charged
> battery and turn it over.  Watch  oil pressure to insure lubrication.
> If car was put up in a "wet" condition you may need to rebuild carbs to
> remove varnish and sediment in float bowls.
> Good Luck, I hope it fires on the first try.

All your other precautions noted above are worth doing--after one knows
it will turn over. <g>

Cheers.

--
My other Triumph runs, but....