Re: Bearing break-in

To: "Jack I. Brooks" <brooks@belcotech.com>
Subject: Re: Bearing break-in
From: Gregory Petrolati <gpetrola@prairienet.org>
Date: Tue, 3 Mar 1998 07:36:44 -0600 (CST)
Cc: ccfarm@tranquility.net, Triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
On Mon, 2 Mar 1998, Jack I. Brooks wrote:

> >What is the proper break in procedure for new main bearings and thrust
> >washers on a TR6 engine?  Any opinions/horror stories welcome.
>
> Chad,
>
> None at all, to my knowledge.  Just apply a liberal coat of assembly lube
> to each bearing when they go in.   Also, crank the engine, without spark
> plugs, until the oil pressure comes up, for the initial startup.

        The only caveat I'ves ever heard about break-in was NOT to use a
        synthetic oil on break-in as it delays the bedding in process for
        the piston rings. If you're starting a completely rebuilt engine
        the wisdom is to use straight 30wt til your first oil change then
        switch to your favorite sythetic... if so inclined... It works for me.

        Of course since you aren't dealing with the cylinders in this case,
        do as you will

        Greg Petrolati

Greg Petrolati, Champaign, Illinois