Re: Bearing break-in

To: James <james.carpenter@ukaea.org.uk>
Subject: Re: Bearing break-in
From: "Jack I. Brooks" <brooks@belcotech.com>
Date: Tue, 03 Mar 1998 07:45:55
Cc: Triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
At 08:52 AM 3/3/98 +0000, you wrote:
>Do you not mean running in.  From what a friend tells me from
>doing his 2.5Pi you need to break-in the engine, that is, use
>almost no torque, and leave off the top revs.   2/3 throttle
>max.   This has to be maintained for at least if not more than
>the initial running in period, because the tolerances are not
>as good.

Engine yes; bearings and thrust washers, no.  The difference is that piston
rings need to be seated into their bores.

>At a guide, you should keep the revs between 2500-3000 to 4000
>RPMs.  Your engine in that region should be as gentle as possible.

I believe you are talking about tappet break-in here.  This higher rpm
requirement is used to insure the tappets rotate within their bores to
insure they break in evenly.  The rockers impart a spin to the tappets.

>Use a running in oil if you want to do it properly, ether that
>or use a really cheap oil.  You defiantly don't want to use any
>synthetic oil, or anything that stops engine even ware.

I believe a standard oil is much better for break-in than synthetic, but
for bearings and thrust washers, I believe synthitic would be fine, as
there are no contact surfaces like you would have with piston rings.

>The art or running in, is to ware the engine in so that you do
>as little damage to it as possible when it's most delicate.

Exactly.

>James Carpenter
>Yellow '79 spit wired by a trained marmot

Jack Brooks
'60 TR3A