Re: Modern radio for TR4

To: "Dennis Barr" <tr357@cdsnet.net>, <triumphs@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: Re: Modern radio for TR4
From: TeriAnn Wakeman <twakeman@cruzers.com>
Date: Sun, 1 Mar 98 08:36:31 -0800
>I am sure I missed this before, but I would like to install a good
>modern radio/cd/tape etc. in my 1963 TR4 . Can I purchase positive
>ground radios, or do I have to "mess" with Dr. Lucas ?

You need to operate on Dr Lucas.  Its not that bad of a job.

Step
#1 Remove battery (clean out battery box, repaint, clean both connections
to battery cables and engine to frame ground strap, or replace if in poor
condition.

#2 Remove connectors to coil.  Loosen screw that holds coil tight in it's
holder.  Rotate coil 180 degrees so it looks like it did but the little
tab electrical connectors are on the opposite sides.  Retighten the clamp
screw.  Replace the wires.

#3 Reverse the wires on the back of the Ammeter

#4 replace the battery back into the battery box in the opposite
direction so the cables will reach.  Connect the ground to the Neg
terminal on the battery.

#5 Repolorize the generator.  Remove the small wire connected to the post
labeled 'F' or field.  Run a temporary wire from the Positive side of the
battery and momentarily touch it against the 'F' terminal.  You will
probably see a spark.  Remove the temp wire.

#6 Connect the wire from the solenoid to the positive battery terminal
then go for a nice relaxing drive up a curvy mountain road.

TeriAnn Wakeman             I subscribe to several high volume mail
Santa Cruz, California      Lists and do not read every posting.
twakeman@cruzers.com        If you send me direct mail, please start
                            subject with TW-  so I will know to read it.

"How can life grant us the boon of living..unless we dare"
Amelia Earhart 1898-1937