Spitfire tub swap and paint advice sought

To: "'triumphs@autox.team.net'" <triumphs@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: Spitfire tub swap and paint advice sought
From: Mark Sinclair <msinclair@dis-inc.com>
Date: Thu, 26 Feb 1998 17:31:08 -0800
Dear Listers

Courtesy of my tax refund I'm now able to finally proceed with the long
planned paint job (my vote goes for BRG) and tub swap on my MK1 Spitfire
(a.k.a the very battered spitfire).

I'm looking for comments on this proposed sequence. The car is a MK1, the
replacement tub is a MK3, (have doors) which has been badly resprayed but
otherwise in good shape.

Please bear in mind that I'm looking to do a 'good', not a showroom, job.
I'm also trying to minimise my off-the-road time since the Spit is my only
set of wheels. I also don't have access to any painting or welding
equipment myself so it's all being shopped out. Tub transport will be by
borrowed/begged/stolen/rented truck.

I'm looking for comments on this proposed sequence. The car is a MK1, the
replacement tub is a MK3 (have doors) which has been badly resprayed but is
otherwise in good shape.

- Remove dash panel (valance?) from MK3 tub since different to MK1.
Everything is now completely stripped.
- Get interior, firewall and underside of new tub commercially (cheaply)
sand-blasted.
- Get the MK1 underbody thoroughly degreased. Remove dash panel from MK1
spit and have it spot welded to the MK3 tub. Am now without transport :-(
- POR15 all exposed steel (is a brush finish going to be OK here?). Top
coat surfaces exposed to UV with black primer.
- Take tub, doors, boot-lid and hood to paint shop. Have them
sand-or-media-blast, primer and paint all exterior surfaces of tub and all
surfaces of the doors, boot-lid and hood.
- Thoroughly clean MK1 frame and then Corroless inside frame rails (frame
rust is minimal).
- Start the reassembly process.

Thanks for any & all comments received - this list is great.

Mark Sinclair
64 MK1 Spitfire - deserving of a pat on the hood for (sofar) surviving El
Nino in soggy SF Bay Area despite 50 mile daily commute.