on engine swaps

To: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: on engine swaps
From: "Larry Hooven" <dirty_howi@hotmail.com>
Date: Tue, 24 Feb 1998 12:05:11 PST
I have a 2.5 liter 4 cyl. engine out of my truck that needs to be
rebuilt, I wanted a little more uumph out of the truck, so have
basically decided to put a 6 in it, possibly a 2.8 either gm or buick
(thoughts?).  i would then like to transplant the newly rebuilt 2.5 into
the spitfire, here's the specs as we (royal) know em.

2.5 liter 4 cyl. gmc engine
92 bhp @4400
130 ft/lbs torque @3300
truck curb (kerb) weight, 2350+- lbs

1493 4 cyl. spit engine
61 BHP @5000
81 ft/lb torque @2700
spit curb (kerb) weight, 1856 lbs.

now the major question, what would happen to the rear end if the extra
horsepower was applied without the benifit of larger bearings and such.
this is given that the rear end is sound at transplant time.  also want
to transplant the 5 speed tranny from the truck. change the ratios a bit
to get some squeel at the light.

plan  is to purchase a wrecked from behind or t-boned 6 cyl. buick or
chevy car (or truck) with a low mileage engine at the time of attack. as
i can purchase a complete (all the parts still there and intact) car for
about 400 or maybe less if i look around, and a new engine to be built
without the benifit of cores is close to 3 grand, I aint got 3 grand
so.......

let the flames begin!!!

TIA, and thanks for all past advice, almost always right on the money.

larry,
1979 spitfire  #FM99248U currently several shades of overspray
1988 GMC S-15 PU, currently in boxes.
1985 Dodge Aires SW, undergoing new half shafts
1963 Chevy 3/4 ton rolling restore

50 thousand driveway miles, at least it seems that way from pushing it
around.

NOW ON THE WEB at http://www.geocities.com/MotorCity/Speedway/9311 drop
a line and sign the guest book.