TR6 gearbox swap

To: <MD.FEED@nwh.org>
Subject: TR6 gearbox swap
From: "jonmac" <jonmac@ndirect.co.uk>
Date: Tue, 24 Feb 1998 12:55:55 -0000
Cc: <triumphs@Autox.Team.Net>
Dennis
See you're taking out box with OD and replacing with another - less OD. At
the risk of receiving a load of e-mail telling me I've got my
unmentionables caught in the mangle, perhaps you should know your 6 (after
conversion) might be a bit quicker away from the lights. 1975 was after I'd
moved away from Triumph but I can say earlier versions of the fuel-injected
car for the UK market had a 3.27:1 final drive for non-OD boxes and 3.54:1
for OD equipped. I put a 3.27 diff in my GT6 and that had an overdrive -
which made it very long-legged - came out somewhere aroung 2.89:1 in OD4th.
If you are a carb 6 - I think, repeat think - the US 6 (like the 250 and 5)
had a 3.54:1 axle whether OD or not. The very early ones certainly did, as
an offset for the reduced power output of the de-toxed engine. Wish I had
my data book to hand- then I could give you a definitive answer. (Other
listers - What does MR. BENTLEY HAVE TO SAY ABOUT IT???????????)
John Macartney