Octane booster ? - Timing query

To: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Octane booster ? - Timing query
From: Andrew Linkens <alinkens@nuera.com>
Date: Mon, 23 Feb 1998 11:17:41 -0800
Conversation-id: <BMSMTP88826110013alinkens@fargo>
Hi,
Got some work done on my 2500S Estate last week. After a good tune-up it's
still pinking. Are there any octane booster additives available to prevent
this?? (BTW I'm in the UK).

Also, the mechanic says that when he set the timing to 10degrees BTDC the car
wouldn't run so he set it back to the position it was before which he reckons
is 18degrees when he checks it with his eqmt. He thinks I may have a wrong
distributor as there seems no other explanation for this.

Question..      What can possibly be going on here?? Is there really a problem
with the distributor or is his equipment out of calibration??

thanks
Andy