Re: Engine Hesitation

To: Larry Wilcox <lwilcox@webzone.net>
Subject: Re: Engine Hesitation
From: msecres@ibm.net
Date: Thu, 19 Feb 1998 19:05:40 -0500
Cc: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Larry Wilcox wrote:

> I have a problem that perhaps one or more of the listers can help me with.
> I have a '73 Spitfire that has had considerable restoration work, (still
> needs more).  The engine (all stock) starts easy, idles great, even rev's
> great.  But, put it in gear and start down the road and as you accelerate
> the engine hesitates.  Even after attaining road speed it will hesitate
> often.  Got any ideas?
>
> Larry Wilcox
> email: lwilcox@webzone.net

Just been there and done all that.  This could be a hundred things.
START with the ignition system, and make sure everything checks out --
timing, coil, plugs, points-cap-rotor-condensor.  Then replace your fuel
filter and check the action of your fuel pump.  Then check for vacuum
leaks at the carb(s) by spraying cleaner at the throttle bushes and
various ports (change in idle belies a leak). Check the carb diaphragm
for holes or tears.  Then open your valve cover and check your valve
clearances, and do a compression check.  Somewhere along that road,
you'll find it -- hopefully sooner rather than later (!)

--
Martin Secrest
73 GT6