Re: TR6 steering rack wiring

To: LGarey@mail.dot.state.nc.us, triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: TR6 steering rack wiring
From: DANMAS@aol.com
Date: Thu, 19 Feb 1998 15:33:53 EST
In a message dated 98-02-19 11:33:43 EST, LGarey@mail.dot.state.nc.us writes:

> My '74 has the plug in the cap on the rack.  Attached under this plug
>  (which is removed to grease the rack) are 2 wires.  What are these
>  wires for?  I saw (in the Autobooks manual) it called a "bonding strap".
>  Does that mean it's grounding the rack?  Why?  Why 2 wires?

Lex,

The wires are there to ground the steering column so that the horn button will
work.  With all the rubber bushing, etc, used in the front suspension,
steering column, and the rack, the column must be jumpered to ground get a
good ground connection for the hornbutton.  The horn button operates the horns
by either grounding one side of the horn relay, if the car is so equipped, or
by directly grounding the horns if not.  There is also another jumper wire
bypassing the rubber "doughnut" or universal joint in the steering column
where it leaves the firewall.

Why two wires?  Simply for convenience when making up the wiring harness.  One
of those wires will go to a ground connection, and the other will go to
another component which also needs grounding, such as a marker lamp, or some
such.  It was just more convenient to ground the other component here rather
than making another connection somewhere else.

Dan Masters,
Atlanta GA (for a few days)

'74 MGBGT---3000mile/year driver, original condition, slated for a V8 soon!
'68 MGBGT---organ donor for the '74