Re: tr8 engine originally made by GM

To: "Douglas Mitchell" <dmitchel@ford.com>
Subject: Re: tr8 engine originally made by GM
From: mmcewen@gpu.srv.ualberta.ca (John McEwen)
Date: Thu, 19 Feb 1998 11:07:22 -0500
Cc: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
You are quite right Doug.  I didn't send this in my original posting but
the engine was a corporate production.  Buick modified the engine for its
use and built the greatest number of them.  It is my understanding that
Olds wasn't happy with the Buick design and made modifications to it which
ensure that the cylinder heads are not completely interchangeable between
the two versions of the engine.

Design of the car and engine began in 1957 and the design of the engine was
submitted to Buick as the division designated to build it.  Due to the
close tolerances planned in the design, suppliers would not bid on the
manufacture of components.  The engine design was changed and completely
re-drawn by Joe Turlay - Chief Engine Designer for Buick - who had
recommended the original design concept.  It is interesting to note that it
was Buick which introduced the first post-war aluminum engines in the
XP-300 and LeSabre show cars back in '51 and '52.  These were supercharged
V8s developing serious horsepower but were never put into production.

John McEwen