Re: tr8 engine originally made by GM

To: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net, spitlist@gte.net
Subject: Re: tr8 engine originally made by GM
From: "Douglas Mitchell" <dmitchel@ford.com>
Date: Thu, 19 Feb 1998 08:04:37 -0500
Joe and others,

The 215 CI V8 was originally developed not by Buick, but rather
by GM Corporate engine group. My dad was the chief engineer/designer
on this engine as well as several others. Some of his engines were
then modified by the divisions to suit their needs. Sometimes with
disasterous results (Vega 2300). GM sold the rights and the casting
equipment for the 215 in about 1967. It was felt that as the cars
continued to grow, the light weight engine was not needed. My dad
still grouses about GM selling this engine.

Cheers,

Doug Mitchell
dmitchel@ismi.net
dmitchel@ford.com