Re: Spit Speakers

To: mscres@ibm.net
Subject: Re: Spit Speakers
From: "Robert M. Lang" <LANG@ISIS.mit.edu>
Date: Wed, 18 Feb 1998 15:01:05 -0500
Cc: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Hi,

I have to chime in here...

Fitting covers to speakers does not reduce thier efficiency. If reducing
the efficiency was an issue, then a lot of commercial speaker cabs would be
open backed...

It turns out that all speakers have a "free air resonance", a frequency at
which they will go into kaniptions, for lack of a better term. A primary
goal in speaker design is either eliminating free air resonance or tuning
it out. Some speakers use non-resonating cabinets (like the die cast metal
enclosures that Radio Shack sells as "Minimus 7's" (and other names). Some
use ducted ports to tune out the resonances and some use active filtering
to tune out the resonances. And things like leaky cabs and parallel
surfaces inside the cabs are parameters that have to be dealt with in the
design of the box.

So, open back speakers will very often sound bad. So won't speakers that
are enclosed in cabinets that are not tuned properly. I can give an
extended dissertation on the subject if you really care... I've actually
designed and built a bunch of speakers. And they sound pretty good too -
and others have told me this...

But, to be to the point, in my TR6, I use the Radio Shack Minimus 7's. They
sound great, and with around 30 watts of peak power per channel, it is
possible to hear music above the roar of the wind and the Monza exhaust.

If you want to cut the rear panel on a Spitfire, and install 6 X 9's, it is
do-able, but to get the best sound from the speakers, you'd want to try to
make some sort of enclosure...

Later,
rml
Bob Lang
TR6's, CF14111U, CR1871o, CC27777U and more!