Heel & Toeing [was list]

To: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Heel & Toeing [was list]
From: ingate@shiseis.com (Shane F. Ingate)
Date: Wed, 18 Feb 98 09:44:25 PST
Mark A. Bunce wrote:
        > and could you describe heel and toe driving.

It only feels awkward if you are not used to doing it.  Some cars
have pedal arrangements that are not conducive to it, but like
offset pedals or driving on the other side of the road, it soon
becomes natural.  My Father taught me heel & toeing AND
double-clutching (in a Beetle!) when I was 12 (when I could reach
the pedals without a pillow behind me).  It is automatic for
me now and I dont even think about it; it is as natural as changing gears.
Most people are amazed when I get into a strange car and they see more
activity in the drivers footwell than at a performance of one-legged
Celtic tap-dancers.

Yeah, I know, it wears out the thrust and throw-out bearings twice as
fast, but my synchro should last at least 500,000 miles!  And its
great excercise for the left leg!

        Shane Ingate in San Diego