Re: Triumph 2000/2500 Wanted

To: "Andrew Mace" <amace@unix2.nysed.gov>, "Chris Rodgers" <The.4.Rodgers@xtra.co.nz>
Subject: Re: Triumph 2000/2500 Wanted
From: "Bill and Sal Birney" <birneybs@onaustralia.com.au>
Date: Wed, 18 Feb 1998 21:44:22 +1100charset="iso-8859-1"
Cc: "Chris Kantarjiev" <cak@dimebank.com>, <triumphs@Autox.Team.Net>
>> so conversely won't fit easily in a vitesse/GT6 unless the chassis is
>> well modified.

Won't go into too much detail, however the 4 speed will go in with a new
mounting plate for the car, and the welding of mounting plates for the GT6
type mounts onto the tail case of the gearbox...no chassis mods. The
overdrive type box does however need some metal removed from the chassis.

>Right. I think it's actually rather easier to swap a GT6 motor into a
>2000 than it is the other way around, as the 2000 blocks might not be
>drilled for the GT6 motor mounts. It does require swapping the front
>(and rear?) engine plate, though. I'm looking to do this sometime really
>soon with my 2000, as it came to me with a blown (SERIOUS hole in the
>block) and a Mk.. 1 GT6 engine.

I can't say for very early 2000 castings, however since the block I dropped
into the GT6 was tapped, I wold be surprised if all the casings weren't
tapped.

To fit a GT6 motor to a sedan you will need to replace the front engine
plate to allow the engine to mount into the car, and the rear plate, spigot
bush, flywheel and clutch to allow the gearbox to be bolted to the motor.
The flywheel and clutch details are certainly the case for MkII sedans (MkI
sedans may be different, Egil may be able to comment on that). Inlet and
exhaust manifolds may have to be swapped as a pair (since the GT6 type
downswept inlet manifold will probably not fit over the sedan exhaust
manifold)

Fitting a TR6 motor to a sedan will be must easier, in this case the front
plate is all you would need to replace, and possibly change the exhaust
manifold (TR6's here got twin pipe manifolds, in the US you may have the
same manifold as the sedan).

One thing to remember is that the sedans lean the motor over (to the left?)
and so the sedan sump should be used.

The other thing to consider is that a MkI and a MkII motor are not
completely interchangable (manifolds must be changed with the motor) due to
the head differences. This also means that a MkII motor will give you extra
punch in a MkI sedan.

Also, unless the car is immaculate, and so worth a packet as original, the
use of a TR6 motor will make it faster and more comfortable (you may need to
change the diff ratio?), and it will be cheaper to rebuild the motor (here
pistons for the 2000 are selling at silly prices)

Hope the above helps someone,

Bill and Sal Birney
'70 GT6+ (RHD)
'67 Spitfire MkII (Sal's)