Re: TR4 flywheel ring gear

To: triumph listserv <triumphs@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: Re: TR4 flywheel ring gear
From: Roger Helman <rogerh@digimation.com>
Date: Tue, 17 Feb 1998 10:16:40 -0600
    Bob, It's probably the starter cylinoid or the ring gear. Does the
starter ever grid when engaging the fly wheel? Do you have to rock the
car back and forth to get the starter in engage? If so, it might be your
ring gear.  The best way to tell is to remove the starter. If the ring
gears teeth are worn and chipped that is probably your problem. It is
also possible the ring gear is backing away from the front of the fly
wheel. If this is the case the starter can't engage the ring gear and
would just spin. I had this happen on my TR6. I think the same thing can
happen on the 4's and 3's also.

--
Roger Helman                  71 TR6 CC67866L
Digimation Inc.               http://deepthought.digimation.com/rogerh/