Re: Crack in exhaust man.

To: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: Crack in exhaust man.
From: msecres@ibm.net
Date: Sun, 15 Feb 1998 19:27:19 -0500
William West wrote:

> Hello!
>
> While cleaning up my engine, I noticed that I had a crack in my exhaust
> manifold. It runs more than half way around the 'arm' coming from #3&4.  Is
> it better just to replace it or have it welded? Will a weld hold on
> something exposed to such extremes in temp???
> Thanks in advance!
>
> Will

The best fix is to replace it, but you didn't say what kind of
car/engine you have, not that it matters much -- you may not be able to
find a new one.  A used manifold may be just as hard to come by.

This may be a good time to consider installing a header.

If you want to weld it, use the best shop you can find.  As I understand
it, to do it correctly, the entire piece must first be brought up to a
high temperature, then welded.  I had a Spitfire manifold welded (don't
think he heated the whole piece), and during the process it warped,
rendering it pretty much unusable.

--
Martin Secrest
74 Spitfire (driver)