Re: Polarizing Generator

To: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: Polarizing Generator
From: Bill Kelly <kelly@dss.com>
Date: Fri, 13 Feb 1998 12:29:56 -0500
Thomas J Howard wrote:

> You intall the generator, then, breifly connect a jumper from the
> Battery to the Field terminal.

> This sets up a small magnitic field so that when the thing starts to
> charge it charges in the correct polarity.

> Your symptom may be another area.   What did you do about the
> regulator?

I believe the connection you describe is made for you automatically,
inside the voltage regulator, as soon as the key hits the 'run'
position.

The electromechanical regulator operates by pulsing this connection on
and off when the output of the generator is near the regulator set point
(14 volts, give or take). When the output is below the set point, this
contact is closed, establishing the fixed magnetic field inside the
generator. When the output is above the set point, an electromagnet
inside the regulator opens this contact, the field disappears, and the
generator stops supplying juice. This causes the voltage to drop, which
causes the contact to close again, etc.

When you first start the car, the voltage is definitely low, so this
contact is definitely closed. So as soon as the ignition switch hits
'run', PRESTO! your generator is polarized.

At least in a Herald.

It can't hurt to touch a wire from the battery + terminal to the
generator 'F' terminal. It _can_ hurt to touch it to the generator
housing, though. Or the block, or any sheet metal...

For related technical reading, see Dan Masters' article at
http://www.vtr.org/maintain/alternator-overview.html

Bill Kelly
'62 Herald, GA41328LCV, -GND since '92