Re: cough, wheeze, hack

To: <msecres@ibm.net>, <triumphs@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: Re: cough, wheeze, hack
From: "Nick" <Nickbk@worldnet.att.net>
Date: Thu, 12 Feb 1998 20:21:58 -0800

----------
> From: msecres@ibm.net
> To: triumphs@autox.team.net
> Subject: GT6: cough, wheeze, hack
> Date: Thursday, February 12, 1998 7:07 PM
>
> My GT6 plight continues.  The car coughs and has very little response,
> though it idles perfectly, and starts instantly.
>
> Here's what I've eliminated (at least to my satisfaction): fuel, fuel
> pump, filter,tank venting, points-cap-rotor-condensor, timing, valves,
> compression, plugs, wires, coil, spark (and I'm probably leaving
> something out).  Basically, I have eliminated everything but the carbs
> themselves, so that's where I'm looking at the moment. Diaphragms are
> OK; ditto the air balance and mixture.  Work with me on this one.
>
> Thinking, "we'll, it's not out of the realm of possibility that the air
> filters are bogged down," I pulled the filter box.  While running the
> engine, during one of it's coughs ("PHUT!!"), I noticed a fine fuel mist
> being expelled out both carbs.  Does this mean anything to anyone?
>
> Still mystified ...
>
> Martin Secrest
> 73 GT6 (possessed by Paula Jones)

Martin-
You mentioned you checked the timing, ignition I assume, but how about the
valve timing ? If the little puppy jumped time, it could indeed exhibit the
"fuel standoff" that you noticed. When you did the ignition tune up, was
the ignition timing off ? If so, that could be further evidence of "jumped
timing" due to worn gears/chain.

As usual, my timing is usually "off"...
           Nick in Nor Cal