Re: 64 Herald / Brake drums / Relocating / SUs

To: <triumphs@triumph.cs.utah.edu>
Subject: Re: 64 Herald / Brake drums / Relocating / SUs
From: "Bill and Sal Birney" <birneybs@onaustralia.com.au>
Date: Fri, 13 Feb 1998 08:31:54 +1100charset="iso-8859-1"
Hello all

>Relocating cars .... I'd call the Aussie DoT
>equivalent and search for the right person. Might be expensive in
>international calls but may save much pain later.

Seems I managed to miss the start of this thread...

Relocating a RHD car to Australia is not that hard, especially of this age.
There will be some work to do to comply (seatbelts, new brake hoses) but
very little. There will probably have to be an engineers certificate issued
on the car (depends on the state).

Here we don't have a single regulatory body, we have ADR's (australian
Design Rules) laid down by the Federal Office of Motor Safety, however these
only cover vehicles produced from there date of legistlation (in 64 we just
had cars identical to England, it wasn't until the late 70's we got any
pollution control), and each state decides how they will apply these to
older imported cars (for instance, in the Northern Territory you can
register a LHD vehicle, this is the only place an Australian national can do
that with no restricions). To get more information specific to any one
state, then you need to contact the Department of Main Roads for that state
(by the way, they aren't all called that, in Victoria it's VicRoads).

Hope this helps some.

Bill and Sal Birney
'70 GT6+ (RHD)
'67 Spitfire MkII (Sal's)