Re: Cam/Crank Timing help

To: "William West" <will_thane@email.msn.com>
Subject: Re: Cam/Crank Timing help
From: Thomas Howard <thoward@sdcoe.k12.ca.us>
Date: Wed, 11 Feb 1998 20:15:08 -0800
Cc: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
At 07:54 PM 2/11/98 -0800, you wrote:
>Hello all!
>
>Ok. 1500 Project again, Kent fastroad cam. I'm setting up cam/timing/crank.
>#1 at TDC, both #1 valves closed.  Timing marks line up.  I think I'm pretty
>close to correct because my #1 valve is opened at 108 degrees (give or take
>a couple due to a difficult time finding accurate vertical on Kent timing
>wheel),per Kent Cam instructions.
>
>However, when I spin the crank around, back to TDC, my #1 intake valve is
>now open, #1 exhaust closed, both #4's are closed.  Ok, I spin it around
>again to TDC and my #4 intake is open and both valves at #1 are closed.
>
>I thought that at TDC, valves at both #1 and #4 should be closed.  What's
>going on here?
>
>Will

It is correct as you describe it.   (Four cycle engine.  Each Cylindar only
fires once very two revolutions of the crank.   Therefor you would exepect
the pistons that move up and down to gether (one and four) to  have valve
timing that is "out" by one full revolution.  Same for two and three.)

Thomas Howard
1972 Triumph GT6,
(& a good bit of USA iron)