Spits for sale

To: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Spits for sale
From: Brian Harper <brian@ati.com>
Date: Wed, 11 Feb 1998 19:45:54 -0800
        I'm going to have to commute again, so I'm getting out of the Spitfire
business and into something probably far less fun. Gotta make some tough
decisions and the Italian motorcycles stay and the British cars go...

For sale:
1978 Spitfire SM70334 Orange, where it still has paint. Runs fine except
for little carb flat spot. Looks like hell. Has header (Pacesetter?) and
Weber DGV carb. Golf-ball sized rust through right in front of rear wheel
on driver's side. I think this car is complete, but the true picky Triumph
expert may find otherwise. I have driven it irregularly for the few months
I've had it, and it has had no serious problems. Top is one year old. Has
some strange water plumbing, but it all works. No smog equipment that I can
see (well, there goes the complete part I mentioned earlier. It's also
missing the sun visors, now that I think about it). I doubt this would pass
CA's visual smog examination. Numerous little problems: driver's side
inside door handle broken, heater control requires lifting the bonnet,
radio has no power, turn signal stalk works, but is floppy, etc. Four speed
with O.D. Car is registered in Illinios thru November. I recently redid the
brakes (new pads and shoes, turned rotors) and replaced the front
trunnions. Most people would replace the tires despite the plentiful tread
depth. I've driven it hundreds of miles from home without fear. It looks
bad but runs good. I don't want to make the car sound too bad, but I do
want to fairly represent it.

Comes with, at no additional charge...
1977 Spitfire. FM62418 U  Blue.  Parts car or restoration project???
Almost completely disassembled. I got this car diassembeled, but I would
guess that most of the little bits are there. It is missing some of the big
bits: Glass, window regulators, rear spring/shocks, front spring/shocks,
seats, wheels and tires, exhaust system. Includes, brand new in the box
from Vicki-Brit, et al, interior door and rear panels, carpet kit, dash
top, heater cable, front suspension bushing kit (except trunnions I put on
the other car). Engine repotedly has a spun rod bearing, but is
rebuildable. Non O/D tranny is allegedly recently rebuilt. Body needs paint
and prep. It was not primered after its last paint prep and has some
surface rust. The body is straight and has no rust-through that I know of,
but I haven't poked around the underside with a screwdriver. It is sitting
on saw horses so inspection is easy. If it has any rust-through, it
shouldn't be serious. Body got dinged under rear bumper during a move, but
not serious. Car has Colorado title.

Both Cars are located in Campbell (San Jose) California.
I am not yet willing to seperate the two cars; buy one, get one free.
$900 or best offer. If you have questions or would some more specific
information e-mail me at brian@ati.com

Brian Harper