Re: 1965 Herald Advice needed...

To: DuperSude@aol.com
Subject: Re: 1965 Herald Advice needed...
From: Andrew Mace <amace@unix2.nysed.gov>
Date: Wed, 11 Feb 1998 21:19:07 -0500 (EST)
Cc: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
On Wed, 11 Feb 1998 DuperSude@aol.com wrote:

> Hi all,
>      We recently discovered a 65 Herald convertible for sale near here, and
> are thinking about buying it. They current owner says it is VERY rusty. Where
> might we find parts and such for it? Mainly body parts. We know Rimmer
> Brothers carries it, but it won't be cheap getting finders sent across the
> pond..

Another excellent source is John Kipping Triumph Spares. There are likely
few in the world who know these cars any better than John and Fiona.

> Also, any spots of trouble to look for? (i.e. the TR6 trailing arm
> mount syndrome) Thanks in advance,

Funny you should mention the TR6 trailing arm mount syndrome as an
example. One of the first places a Herald chassis tends to rust away is
where the radius rod for the rear suspension mounts. This usually is
followed closely by all the other "outriggers" rusting away. Depending on
how the car has been stored (i.e., outside on damp gravel), you might
well find that the bottoms of the main frame rails are gone as well. Most
all of the outriggers are available, but proper replacement entails
body-off and likely some setting up of jigs to align everything.

This all can get very expensive, and you really can't skirt this issue.
If the owner says the car is VERY rusty, count on lots of frame work (if
it's salvageable at all). Then you've got the sheet metal to worry about,
which also can get pretty expensive pretty quickly.

Bottom line is that, sad to say, a really rusty Herald just might not be
worth restoring unless you REALLY LIKE THE CAR (some of us do) and can
get it REALLY CHEAP and then do all the work yourself. Odds are you're
better off waiting for a more solid car, if a Herald is what you really
want. At the same time, though, there might be a market for parts, some
of which can be rather valuable to the right person (convertible top
bows, etc.).

--Andy