Re: Another new arrival!!

To: Shawn Mann <shawmon@worldnet.att.net>
Subject: Re: Another new arrival!!
From: Malcolm Walker <walker05@camosun.bc.ca>
Date: Tue, 10 Feb 1998 15:25:42 -0800 (PST)
Cc: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
On Tue, 10 Feb 1998, Shawn Mann wrote:

> The owner garaged the car without any storage preparation, and it hasn't
> been run in 10 years or so, so what do I need to do to prep the engine,
> fuel system and cooling system (aside from changing all of the fluids)
> before I try to start the sucker up?

-Give all the coolant hoses a squeeze.  If any of them crack or feel soft,
watch out for leaks!

-I 'cooked' the oil in my TR4 before starting it.  Basically I just ran
some hot oil through the sump.

I used a pot of hot water and dunked the oil in (using a tin can)- not
much risk of fire when you heat with water ;-)

-The battery will probably be shot.  (one of those "replace anyway"
things)

-Take out the spark plugs and get some oil in the combustion chambers
ASAP.  Then (later...) try to turn the engine by hand.  With no plugs in
there should be some resistance, but not a lot.  Something close to
turning the steering wheel on a stationary car (no power steer.)

-Replace the gas (if any) in the tank with good stuff.  If the gas is red
you should expect trouble from the tank, esp. with rust clogging stuff up.

these are just thoughts, in no particular order.  I would also expect a
brake job (at least on the hydraulic end) and a clutch job.  Check the
reservoirs first; if they're full then it's probably ok... if empty, you
have a job to do ;-)

All in all you got a good deal.  Have fun!

-Malcolm