Re: Seat Adjusters/Rails

To: Brad Kahler <Brad.Kahler@141.com>
Subject: Re: Seat Adjusters/Rails
From: Dean Paige <ecopaige@metro.net>
Date: Tue, 10 Feb 1998 09:18:08 -0800
Cc: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Brad Kahler wrote:

> I just installed my seat adjuster/rails in my Spitfire.  Before I
> installed them you could slide the individual runners back and forth
> pretty easily.  Once I bolted them down on top of the carpeting it
> takes an act a lot of yanking and pulling to get them to budge.  Did
> I do something wrong or might I be missing something?  The pictures
> that I've seen don't seem to show anything under them.  Can any one
> out there help?
>
> TIA
>
> Brad
>
> 1964 Spitfire4            BFC25720L (After 10 years will be on the road in
>March!!!)
> 1966 TR4A                CT72398L (Needs Restoration)
> 1951 Dodge Truck    82217766  B-3-B-108 (Boxes & Boxes of parts right now)

Out of the factory my 73 TR-6 had 1/4 - 3/8 inch spacers under the rails.
These took up about as much vertical space as the carpets and pads. They
usually stuck in the padding if seats and carpet/pad were removed. over
the course of years they were lost and I ended up with the same problem
you describe. The rails get drawn too tight against the carpet. During a
recent interior upgrade I made new ones out of an appropriately sized
galvanized water pipe cut into 3/8 inch sections. Seats again slide
freely.

Deano