Carb and Manifold Questions(long)

To: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Carb and Manifold Questions(long)
From: Alan Camhi <camhi@symbol.com>
Date: Mon, 09 Feb 1998 14:04:28 -0500
Sorry to bomb the list but I don't think my original e-mail went through.

Hi Everyone.

I started on my rebuild of mt 175CD Strombergs this weekend and have a few
questions:

1.  I was having a hard time refitting the jet/spring/bushing assy back
together and did not notice how far the bushing needs to travel onto the jet.
The bushing has an O-ring seat and I was also having trouble fitting it into
this seat.  Does the bushing travel just far enough until it touches the
uncompressed spring or does it need to go further?

2.  I removed the needle from the air piston without noting how far in it
should be placed.  Should the shoulder be in line and flush with the piston
bottom or does the needle need to be more recessed(Brad Kahler mentioned on his
SU's that the needle should be flush).

3.  I cleaned all the parts in gasolene but am still unable to get some deep
carbon deposits off the air piston and some of the carb body. I tried scrubbing
them with a toothbrush but got no results.  The deposits aoppear to be trapped
in the surface pitting of the metal and Iam afraid to brush too hard.  Any
suggestions or can I leave them alone?  They are basically clean.

4.  Upon reassembly, what should I be oiling and what kind of lubrication
should I use.

5.  I am not taking apart the cold start ass'ys(springs, levers etc.) and the
throttle ass'ys because I am afraid i'll never get them back together.  Is this
going to be a problem down the road?

6.  Found a slight tear in the diaphram of the carb.  Very small and at the
edge(along the circular outside perimeter).  What affect would this have on
performance.  I will be changing it but am curious if it would affect my idling.

7.  Last one.  I notice that there is a triangular hole on my exhaust manifold
in between the two main pipes.  The engine is not loud nor do I feel anything
being pushed out that hole.  I want to take the rust off and paint it but am
afraid that I might make the hole even bigger.  Is this hole a problem?  Could
it cause poor running?  Is the middle of manifold just metal without any piping
or is this a means for exhaust to leak out? Can it be plugged or welded?

I apologise for this very long questionaire, but I definitely need the help.
Thanks for your patience and advice.

Best regards,

Alan Camhi
'65 TR4