Keith Martin in Autoweek

To: TRIUMPHS@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Keith Martin in Autoweek
From: Lawrence Schilling <lchillin@siu.edu>
Date: Mon, 09 Feb 1998 10:49:20 -0600
I don't know how many of you read Autoweek or know who Keith Martin is, (
the publisher of SPORTS CAR MARKET magazine), but I just have to comment on
his comments in the last couple issues of Autoweek.

Now this guy writes a small piece in Autoweek where he states in his great
wisdom and knowledge of the field the value of different types of vintage
sports cars.  He mostly deals with expensive topics like Ferrari, Lambos,
or sometimes Jags.  Once in a great while he will discuss more lowly
British cars.  He once advised a "friend" of his in print that his asking
price of $10,000 for his pristine STAG was outrageous and not worth more
than $6000.  Some friend, eh?

Well, this so-called expert bought a TR6 sight unseen through a broker that
was supposedly in pretty good shape for $2,750.  The broker then tells him
that the engine makes a slight knocking noise at certain times, to which he
concludes he's been ripped off and it's going to cost him $3000 for an
engine rebuild.  Since, he states, that he only bought the car so he could
let his kids resell the car for a $1000 more than he paid, he's
dissappointed that his plan is foiled.  He wants to sell the car for what
he paid for it ASAP, which the broker does minus $200 for his efforts.

Remember, this Kieth Martin guy is suppose to be an expert in the field of
vintage sports cars.  I have a feeling he will never say another nice thing
about Triumphs because of his own stupidity in this transaction.

JMHO.