Re: RED ROCKER COVERS

To: GuyotLeonF@aol.com
Subject: Re: RED ROCKER COVERS
From: Andrew Mace <amace@unix2.nysed.gov>
Date: Sun, 8 Feb 1998 14:56:28 -0500 (EST)
Cc: A.C.DEACON@OPENMAIL1.PTW-AM.spdcwri.simis.com, triumphs@Autox.Team.Net, spitlist@gte.net
> In a message dated 08/02/98  17:45:17, Andrew Deacon writes:
>
> << Subj:       RED ROCKER COVERS
>  Date:        08/02/98  17:45:17
>  From:        A.C.DEACON@OPENMAIL1.PTW-AM.spdcwri.simis.com
>  To:  guyotleonf@aol.com
>
>  Leon,
>
>  I have just read your monthly article in the January '98 Courier, in
>  which you observe that some DPO had painted the rocker cover red on a US
>  spec. Triumph. You may well be right, however I own a US Californian
>  Spec. Spitfire...The relevant point is that the
>  rocker cover has always been red.
>
>  ...Seeing red rocker covers on
>  Triumphs in North America was quiet common and I have always been led to
>  understand that the factory painted them red on US Spec engines to
>  distinguish them from other markets....

This seems very likely, at least from my observations over the years. The
1500 was introduced in the U.S. for the 1973 model year. At that time,
the rocker cover was still silver. But sometime several years later, I
believe that red became the "normal" color on the U.S.-spec. motors.
There are also blue rocker covers found on much later cars in the U.S.
(the last couple years of California-spec. engines, perhaps?).

--Andy "37 degrees Fahrenheit and sunny here in upstate New York, and the
only Triumph in sight is the Herald Coupe', which I hope to get into the
barn soon!" ;-)