Re: RED ROCKER COVERS

To: A.C.DEACON@OPENMAIL1.PTW-AM.spdcwri.simis.com
Subject: Re: RED ROCKER COVERS
From: GuyotLeonF@aol.com
Date: Sun, 8 Feb 1998 13:20:13 EST
Cc: amace@unix2.nysed.gov, triumphs@Autox.Team.Net, spitlist@gte.net
In a message dated 08/02/98  17:45:17, you write:

<< Subj:         RED ROCKER COVERS
 Date:  08/02/98  17:45:17
 From:  A.C.DEACON@OPENMAIL1.PTW-AM.spdcwri.simis.com
 To:    guyotleonf@aol.com

 Leon,

 I have just read your monthly article in the January '98 Courier, in
 which you observe that some DPO had painted the rocker cover red on a US
 spec. Triumph. You may well be right, however I own a US Californian
 Spec. Spitfire which I have had since it was effectively new. Just had
 delivery mileage of 93 miles and was previously registered by Triumph
 Motors, Canley in 1978. It was never exported despite the Heritage Cert
 suggesting Los Angeles. I bought it under original Warranty in the UK in
 July 79 and still have it (in Lubenham). The relevant point is that the
 rocker cover has always been red.

 When I was living in Canada a couple of years ago I kept an interest in
 Triumphs, even purchasing a TR6 which I subsequently shipped back to the
 UK (also in Lubenham but being rebuilt). Seeing red rocker covers on
 Triumphs in North America was quiet common and I have always been led to
 understand that the factory painted them red on US Spec engines to
 distinguish them from other markets. The US Spitfire has of course the
 low compression engine, lead free head, single Stromberg CD150 4T and
 had a catalyst converter in the single pipe large bore exhaust system
 with air injection. Not the sort of engine to get confused with other
 overseas markets. I may be wrong but a check Stateside may confirm this.

 Incidently, I am writing this from Nigeria where it is 37 deg C and
 sunny but not a Triumph in sight.

 Regards,

 Andrew Deacon

 TSSC 88/21111

Thanks very much Andrew
I will check this with our U.S. friends. (over to you listers!)
I'll ask them to reply directly to you. (thanks)
Gosh it must be hot work sitting over a computer in that heat!
I'm off to South Africa, (The Cape,Pretoria and the Eastern Transvaal) in
April for four weeks, but hopefully things will have cooled off a little by
then!
I'll also mention your mailing, my first from Nigeria, in my next magazine
report which I am just about to write.
Best Wishes and thanks again.
Leon
TSSC International Liaison