Late Spit Diff. Housing

To: Triumphs Mail List <triumphs@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: Late Spit Diff. Housing
From: Joe Curry <spitlist@gte.net>
Date: Sat, 07 Feb 1998 12:27:23 -0800
The time has come for me to cry out in the wilderness for help.

This is actually my entry in the idiot of the year competition for 1998.

Last week I meticulously replaced the seals in a Differential from a '75
Spit, that I plan on putting into my car.  The gears are slightly higher
and will make the engine strain less at higher speeds.  After getting
the seals in, I decided to give the thing a good coat of paint before
inserting it into my clean little Spit. (Bad Move)

I set the unit on a cardboard box to paint it and since it was still a
little wet, I left it there overnight to dry.  Murphy states, "a
cardboard box will always collapse in the direction that will cause
what's on top to fall the greatest distance."  He is correct!  The
differential fell onto the concrete floor and broke off one of the rear
mounting ears.

I am asking anyone who has a late 4-stud diff. that has shot gears but a
good case, to please respond.  Bear in mind that I am "cheap".  If you
don't believe me, ask my wife, she'll verify the fact.

The closer to Seattle, the better!!!!

Hopefully,
Joe Curry

--
"Thanks to the Interstate Highway System, it is now possible
 to travel across the country coast to coast without seeing