Re: Fuel Cells

To: mdporter@rt66.com
Subject: Re: Fuel Cells
From: WINDOWSEET@aol.com
Date: Fri, 6 Feb 1998 18:15:33 EST
Cc: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Hi, Mike;

The fuel tank in the GT6+ is 17" wide x 22" front to back and 9" high. There
are a variety of fuel cells available in the Summit catalog. They have a 16
gallon version  with a polyurethane tub, AN fittings and a 0-60 ohm sending
unit. They have other sizes and types but this is a street cell and is
available for $158.95.

I was considering putting one of these in my GT6+ on the passenger's side I
still think that the combined weight of the driver and fuel tank is why they
put a shim under the spring on the driver's side in left hand drive versions.
It's to compensate for the extra weight on the left side of the car. This
wouldn't be a problem on a UK MkII
GT6.

The only problem I see is fabricating brackets to hold the cell and routing
the filler hose. The cell has an aviation type filler that is held in place by
screws but that could be replaced with a fabricated filler neck. Of course if
it's safety you are after the factory filler cap would pop open during impact
or a roll over and it would be necessary to incorporate a one way valve in the
filler tube.

I have no interest in Summit, there are other suppliers of fuel cells but
these prices seem very reasonable.

Greg Wolf
1970 GT6+ "Ian"
Ann Arbor, Michigan