winshiled wiper wiring for a TR3A

To: Triumph News Group <triumphs@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: winshiled wiper wiring for a TR3A
From: Jeff Raymond <raymo1@airmail.net>
Date: Wed, 04 Feb 1998 09:04:38 -0600
Good People

I have a 1958 TR3A (28182) that is being restored after sitting in a
garage for 20 years.  It had a wiring meltdown at one time which we
straightened out for the most part but....

We have questions concerning the windshield wiper wiring.

We've got the reprint of the TR2 Shop manual with the TR3 supplement.
The wiring diagram in it shows a black with green wire going between the
motor and the wiper switch and a second wire (of the same color)going to
ground.

On my car We have a post numbered 1 and a post number 2 along with one
labeled 'E' on the motor and a red wire going from the motor to the top
of the gear box (which is hot when number 1 is hot - 12 volts) and
appears to be insulated from the gearbox cover.  We're assuming that 'E'
is earth or ground. If so what should be hooked up to the 1 and 2
spades?  The green wire from #2 spade is short and goes nowhere that we
can determine.  The wires for 1 & 2 cannot be reversed due to different
connectors.  Would a positive ground to negative ground be significant?
None is mentioned in the FAQ on converting on the VTR Maintanence page.

Help???