Free a BH, turn off your lights

To: triumph owners digest <triumphs@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: Free a BH, turn off your lights
From: James <james.carpenter@ukaea.org.uk>
Date: Tue, 3 Feb 1998 11:00:54 +0000
This may save you some mathmatical effort, flat batery, and
shot altinator.

I am getting myself some halogen conversion hedlamps, so like any
one with half a brain, I did some calculations.  Heres what I came
up with.

I have two 50W 4.1A * 2 = 8.2A Driving lamps, main beam only.
I plan to fit, a halogen conversion, initialy with 60/55W 5A *2=10A
bulb,  after that 135/100W bulbs 11.25A * 2 = 22.5A
Other electricals include:
Other lights, 6A average.
Windscreen wiper, 7A average.
Stereo ignition, ect 5A.

So when I upgrade, my lights to the 135W veriaty, I whill have
a curent draw of 48.7A max, given my spitfire altinator is
rated at 35A, my batery will have a charge current of -13.7A,
thus a 65A altinator is needed me thinks, and my batery will
charge as well.

How much power is that?
Its 584.4 W, with the altinator efficiancy being 50%,
it gives me 1.2kW.  This means when I drive in the
pouring rain, heater on, windscreen wipers, lights on
fullbeam, I will be sucking a masive 1.6BHP from the
engin.  This leave me with only 69BHP, a 2.25% drop
in power.

Most people seem to what to spend a lot of money to
get this power increse.  I say to them, turn your
lights off when overtaking, it's cheaper;-)

Ok, I confess, I got board over me coffee break.

--
James Carpenter
Yellow '79 spit wired by a trained marmot