RE: Tires - AVONS

To: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net, LLong@kollmorgen.com
Subject: RE: Tires - AVONS
From: rgb@exact.com
Date: Sat, 31 Jan 13:33:53 1998
>The AVONS handle sooooo much better than Michelins but they are blackwalls.

Any modern tire will handle much better than OEM redlines.

You can have "redlines" put on many blackwall tires for 10 to $20 apiece.
(it has to do with the location of the raised lettering, some tires won't)

AVON WARNING:  I would never buy this brand again, though its likely the
   185HR15 that is defective.  I bought a set of 4.  One tire developed
   a softball sized lump on the inside sidewall (car perfectly aligned).
   I caught this prior to my 3,000 mile TRF summer party trip.  Tire #2
   exploded via the inside sidewall at 75 mph along the way.  This took
   out a portion of my new rear fender and marred the new paint...
   Two out of 4 tires showing a fatal defect within 10,000 miles is
   enough for me.

   All the 185-15 tires, the AVONS included, I've seen are of the OLD
   tread design.  I want recently made modern design tires on my cars.

I don't drive 55.

--
Roger G. Bolick, rgb@exact.com 512-794-9567, FAX 345-2879