Re: Carbs for 1300 on 1500?

To: Trevor Boicey <tboicey@brit.ca>
Subject: Re: Carbs for 1300 on 1500?
From: Joe Curry <spitlist@gte.net>
Date: Sat, 31 Jan 1998 09:51:21 -0800
Cc: "triumphs@autox.team.net" <triumphs@Autox.Team.Net>

Trevor Boicey wrote:

> What are the differences between the carb set for a 1300
> and the carb set for a 1500?

The dual SU's for the earlier 1300 engines were HS2's (1 1/4") the Duals
for the European 1500's were HS4's (1 1/2").  THe European setup is
probably a better arrangement for the larger displacement of the 1500,
but several of us are running the 1300 dualies with success.

I have rebuilt the carbs, including new shafts and bushings, and have
been playing with the needles to find a combination that works best on
my particular engine.  Right now I have needles that reportedly come
from a 1600cc MG, and they seem to do well until I get up at higher Revs
with full throttle, then I get an immediate drop-off.  Easing up on the
throttle picks right back up.  So I still have a bit of tinkering to
do.  The European carb setup has that engineering already done and
hopefully it is a "bolt on" addition with very little fine tuning.

>   I have a Midget 1500 (booo hiss!) but there seems to be a few
> double carb sets for 1300s floating around. What's involved to
> make them work well on a 1500?

Se above

>   As well, has anyone tried putting a single CD-175 on a
> 1500 engine instead of the CD-150? I have a lot of TR6 carbs
> sitting around.

Don't know about the ZS's

>   Thanks. Because all my 1500 manuals are Midget-oriented
> they don't mention the 1300 setup at all.

I'm sure you are aware that the 1300 and 1500 engines share an identical
port arrangement and manifolds are interchangeable.

Joe Curry

--
"Thanks to the Interstate Highway System, it is now possible
 to travel across the country coast to coast without seeing