Re: The International Triumph Spitfire Database

To: James <james.carpenter@UKAEA.ORG.UK>
Subject: Re: The International Triumph Spitfire Database
From: Joe Curry <spitlist@gte.net>
Date: Fri, 30 Jan 1998 09:07:06 -0800
Cc: Triumphs Mail List <triumphs@Autox.Team.Net>
James,
I have read that the 1500 engine was borrowed from another Triumph that
had Front wheel Drive. (I don't recall off hand which one) It would have
had different number sequences than a Spitfire.  And then there is the
ever populat Late Midget 1500 (borrowed from the Spit).  But those
engines began with FP.  There were also other low production cars that
used the same engine purchased as a unit from Triumph.  The only way to
know for sure is to check with the BMIHT and see if they have records of
a 1500 engine bearing that serial number.  By the way, the Herald engine
numbers began with a G, but the highest I have found is the 1296 that
had a GE prefix.  Of course the 1300 and 1500 engines share identical
outside dimensions.  Maybe that is what you have and the GE has been
distorted to look like a GK.

But what is important is it runs!

Joe

PS, As far as it being a Midget engine,  that's what my Spit had when I
got it.  I still have the block...Interested?

--
"Thanks to the Interstate Highway System, it is now possible
 to travel across the country coast to coast without seeing