Re: V8s

To: sdkgt6@hotmail.com, triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: V8s
From: DANMAS@aol.com
Date: Fri, 30 Jan 1998 11:05:12 EST
In a message dated 98-01-29 22:38:43 EST, sdkgt6@hotmail.com writes:

> IMHO, the Rover V8 is the only logical choice for our cars.  It is (a
>  LOT) lighter than the six, close to the fours in fact, and the five
>  speed is a straight fit (to the engine anyway), or GM slushboxes, if
>  you're so inclined.  I must confess I find all these small-block
>  Ford/Chevy conversions puzzling--yeah, I know they're (a LOT) cheaper,
>  but since when is that the largest factor?  From the look of Dan's car,
>  he is not doing it on the cheap anyway.  If my 5 speed conversion works,
>  and I do the RX7 diff thing at some point, I may do a (Rover) V8 GT6
>  (GT8?).

Scott,

While I won't argue with you that the Rover is a good choice, I will argue
that it's not the only choice, nor the only logical choice, nor even the best
choice.  I will agree that the Chevy is the worst choice of the lot -- not
because I believe the Chevy is in any way inferior, but from strictly a
weight/size standpoint.  Even so, a Chevy can be made to work.  Which of the
engines you choose would depend on a lot of factors, cost among them!  The car
you are putting the engine into, performance level desired, end usage of the
car, and availability would be among the factors involved.

Obviously, we're talking about street driven cars here, but if you want to
drag race on the weekend, your criteria would be different than if you chose
to auto-cross.  For drag racing, the Chevy might very well be the way to go --
in fact, you might even want a big block!

For a TR6, I still feel the Ford is the best way to go.  Why?

1)  With aluminum heads (yes, they are not cheap), the Ford weighs less the
the stock 6 cylinder.  Yes, it still weighs more than the Rover, but if the
car is good enough with the weight of the 6, then it certainly will be good
enough with the 8.  With the lower center of gravity of the 8, and by placing
it a little lower and further back, which is very easy to do, the handling
will be improved. Even with the iron heads, the Ford only weighs a little more
than the 6, and the additional weight is easily compensated for by the better
location.  This month's edition of Car Craft (or maybe Hot Rod) magazine has
an article on getting 400 HP from a 302 Ford on pump gas, no nitrous, for
under $2500!  You don't need 400 HP, but if you want it, can you get it from a
Rover?

2)  The Ford is smaller than either the Rover or the Chevy. Yes, it is smaller
than even the
Rover. Both of these are about 2 inches wider than the Ford, and width is
critical in the TR6.

For a Spitfire or a GT6?? I don't know.

You are right about my car not being cheap!  It is costing me far more than I
had anticipated, but I made the decision to do it right or not at all.  As a
result, it is taking me a lot longer to finish than I planned.  There is a
long wait between the purchase and installation of one part, and the purchase
of the next, while I save the necessary funds (remember, I'm a senior citizen,
living on a pension!).

I would be very much interested in following along on your 5 speed conversion,
and I would like to hear more about your use of an RX7 diff.  Please keep the
group informed as you progress.

Dan Masters,
Atlanta, Ga (for the weekend -- spoiling my 3 year old grandson again!)