Re: Paint removers

To: mmcewen@gpu.srv.ualberta.ca
Subject: Re: Paint removers
From: James <james.carpenter@ukaea.org.uk>
Date: Thu, 29 Jan 1998 08:29:16 +0000
Cc: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Illegal-object: Syntax error in References: value found on gateway.ukaea.org.uk:References: <md5:D55A3DECE16AF3FFEF13A3C087FAC636> ^-illegal end of message identification
Ok I'm trying to think A-Level Chemestry time (a bit of along time
ago now).

I imagin if you used the wrond stripper you would get about a volt,
but this can do alot of damage.

The wrong stripper would be somthing that is good as an electolite.
It will have to contain water, and a substence that will releace
H+ ions into the water.

Here is a test.

Equpment,
Volt Meeter.
Glass Jar.
Steel rod, or somthing steel.
Aluminium foil or somthing.
2 Wires.
Paint stripper to be tested.

Method
Connect Wire one to steel, and volt meeter terminal(any)
Connect wire two to anuminium foil, and volt meeter other terminal.
Put an inch or two of paint stripper in the jar, and put both
bits of metal in there, not touching, and wires not touching them.

If you get a voltage then don't use that paint stripper.

My guess is your best off with an Orgainic Chemical, that is
made of a petrochemical, and no water.

One thin what you describe is excelent for cleening silver.
Put aluminium foil in a plastic bole, fill with warm water,
put is soda cristals.  The stuff you use to cleen drains.

Then put your silver in no more than 30 sec for EPS,
and 2 min for normal silver.  It will bubble a froth, and
kill the aluminium.

No Garintee about the times, so be carefull.

--
James Carpenter
Yellow '79 spit wired by a trained marmot