Re: HEEEELP with Problems Starting

To: Tom Wagner - Program Manager <tom.w.wagner@Central.Sun.COM>
Subject: Re: HEEEELP with Problems Starting
From: "Gav. McNett" <gavin@mcnett.org>
Date: Mon, 26 Jan 1998 10:12:05 -0500
Cc: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net

Tom Wagner - Program Manager wrote:

> To All:
>
> I know the wisdom the of net here will HEEELLLLLPPPPP
> me OUT.
>
> Problem:
>
> I HAD a running 72 TR6 on Sat morning, pulled
> it out of garage on a nice 50 degree day here
> in Houston.  Car had been under snow for 6 years
> needed a new set of points, plugs and condensor.
>
> Put them in with the following done:
>
>         Regap plugs to .025 in.
>         Dwell angle of 35 degrees for points
>
>         Then checked to make sure that the following is
>         happening:
>
>         Spark on the plugs
>         Spark at the contact points
>         Fuel pumping to carbs
>
> Car does turnover, but just will NOT START.
>
> In the times that I have done the same to my
> MGB, I have never had this problem.
>
> I need help from the whole group.
>
> Thanks
>
> Tom Wagner
> 67 MGB
> 72 TR 6

I ran into the exact same problem with my car a couple of weeks ago. It
was mystifying: I was hopping up and down for about three days thinking
of evermore complicated things that could account for the problem (teeth
missing on the timing gear, invisible carbon tracks in the electrics...)
Eventually though, a can of dry-gas went into the tank, and the trouble
cleared right up. It's about a $2 investment, and it sounds like your
car might be a candidate for it anyway -- especially if it's been
sitting around without a full tank of fuel.
Please let me know how things turn out.
--G