TR^ Ignition timing, more questions

To: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: TR^ Ignition timing, more questions
From: Bill Wood <triumph1@nr.infi.net>
Date: Sun, 25 Jan 1998 22:16:18 -0800
Date: Sat, 24 Jan 1998 08:33:39 -0800
From: Pete & Aprille Chadwell <dynamic@transport.com>
Subject: TR6 Ignition timing, more questions

Hi folks.

For some reason I stopped recieving the list mail last Friday.  I
finally
just re-subscribed, and it looks like I may have missed out on some good
timing stuff.

I currently have my vaccuum retard line connected.  I have one line from
the distributor to the thermo-vaccuum switch, and one line from there to
the rear carb...it's a '73, so this is correct.  Sounds like I should
disconnect all this.  The problem I have with this motor is that the
only
way I can get it to idle at the proper rpms is to retard the timing.
That is, set the timing at 4 ATDC like the book says.  Needless to say,
the power at this setting is quite poor.  So, I choose to ignore the
book and advance the timing (with hoses connected) to *I THINK* around 8
BTDC, or as far as I can while keeping the idle below, say, 1100 rpms.
The carbs are bottomed out.  I can't reduce the idle speed any further.
Why is this? Has anyone learned a way around this?  I'd like to advance
the timing more, because I'm sure there's more power to be enjoyed up
there, but I can't stand sitting at a light with the engine buzzing away
at 1500 rpms!!

Pete Chadwell
1973 TR6
CF10732

Pete,

My 73 is exactly as yours.  Carbs rebuilt 9 years ago, but with probably
3500 or so miles on them.  I run even a further advanced ignition, about
12-14 degrees, depending on whether it's summer or winter when I time
the car.  My idle too wants to race to about the 1500 rpm range _if_ I
don't
consciously kick the pedal really hard to bring the idle down.  I may
have to do this once or twice, and I SHARPLY floor it.  This usually
brings the idle down nicely to about 800-850 rpm.  Might be worth a try
for you.

The one thing I have not been able to determine is if there is anything
mechanical internallly that is hanging up that makes me have to do this
to get my car to return to a decent idle.

Bill Wood
1973 TR6
1979 TR8 Coupe
1980 TR8 Coupe