TR6 Ignition timing, more questions

To: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: TR6 Ignition timing, more questions
From: Pete & Aprille Chadwell <dynamic@transport.com>
Date: Sat, 24 Jan 1998 08:33:39 -0800
Hi folks.

For some reason I stopped recieving the list mail last Friday.  I finally
just re-subscribed, and it looks like I may have missed out on some good
timing stuff.

I currently have my vaccuum retard line connected.  I have one line from
the distributor to the thermo-vaccuum switch, and one line from there to
the rear carb...it's a '73, so this is correct.  Sounds like I should
disconnect all this.  The problem I have with this motor is that the only
way I can get it to idle at the proper rpms is to retard the timing.  That
is, set the timing at 4 ATDC like the book says.  Needless to say, the
power at this setting is quite poor.  So, I choose to ignore the book and
advance the timing (with hoses connected) to *I THINK* around 8 BTDC, or as
far as I can while keeping the idle below, say, 1100 rpms.  The carbs are
bottomed out.  I can't reduce the idle speed any further.  Why is this?
Has anyone learned a way around this?  I'd like to advance the timing more,
because I'm sure there's more power to be enjoyed up there, but I can't
stand sitting at a light with the engine buzzing away at 1500 rpms!!

Pete Chadwell
1973 TR6
CF10732