Spitfire Speakers

To: "'triumphs@autox.team.net'" <triumphs@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: Spitfire Speakers
From: Andrew Miller <amiller@JetForm.com>
Date: Fri, 23 Jan 1998 11:33:10 -0500
Back in High School I came across a book called the Audio Encyclopedia
it explained baffles, wave guides, sound dynamics, crossovers, physics
behind enclosure volumes and explained why some units had ports, why
some didn't etc. etc.

I was looking for a speaker enclosure that offered good sound, could
swap between Mums car, Dads car, different friends cars and the stereo
in the basement and was cheap in price but not in sound.

I have decided to rebuild the enclosure for four reasons.
1. The enclosure is approx 6x6x23" and so will fit behind the seats
nicely (I really don't want to go cutting holes in panels)
2. It is light enough to pull out and hide in the trunk to ward off
weather/bad guys
3. By using waveguides and an internal baffle it gives 'big' sound from
a small set of drivers
4. the plans were produced by Stomberg-Carlson, the same Stromberg as
Zenith-Stromberg

When you look at today's Bose direct/reflecting speakers and the
acoustic labyrinth design from Altec-Lansing and Klipsch you'll see that
Stromberg was way ahead of their time (sorry about that Panasonic)

If anyone's interested I'll convert my sketches to .GIF and mail them or
make them available on a WEB site

Andrew
79 Spitfire