Spitfire/ 4A-GE conversion

To: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Spitfire/ 4A-GE conversion
From: Scott Davis <ssdavis1@ews.uiuc.edu>
Date: Thu, 22 Jan 1998 11:25:06 -0600
Hello all,

        I'm new into triumphs, old into Toyotas, and have a few ideas to float
the powers that be for analysis and thought.

        I just bought a 79 Spitfire 1500 from Southern Ca....  Perfect body,
never
been touched, original paint, restored 6 years ago from the frame up.  Then
it saw daily driver use for the last 5 years, culminating in a tranny
missing 3rd and a blown motor (rod knock you can hear clear across the
county).

        Since I've grown fond of the Toyota geartrain I have in most of my cars
(4A-GE, the MR2 motor, with a 5 speed transmission- I have had a few, and
all have over 175k miles with no problems whatsoever) I have started to get
the parts together to convert the spitty over to this drivetrain.  Final
goals are a car with superb handling skills, great looks and utter
dependability.

        So far, it looks that not too much stands in my way to get everything to
run.... The old motor/trans/etc will have to be removed, then custom mounts
fabricated to mount the motor.  The trans will have to have an adapter
plate made to drop into the triumph location;  A custom driveshaft has to
be fabricated.  The stock radiator can be retained, with custom rubber
pipes.  EFI has to be rewired, but I've already done that a couple times
and it should be the least of my problems.

        Fuel delivery will be accomplished most likely via two pumps, one at the
tank to provide ~4ish psi of pressure to move the fuel, then another to
give the 40psi that the injectors require.  This is up in the air right
now, and any ideas are very much appreciated as to the best way to get 40
psi at the intake area.....   BTW, what are the stock fuel lines rated to,
pressure wise?

        The 4A-GE is rated at ~115hp, and is quite light (around 250 lbs).
Tranny
is also very light, and hopefully I can garner a few pounds of weight
savings in the swap.

        If anyone can point me in some direction as to who to talk to about the
details of this operation- especially if they have done something like it
before- I would much appreciate it....  Also, any opinions and comments are
quite welcome!

Thanks!
Scott

Some people are alive simply because it is against the law to kill them.....

http://www.ews.uiuc.edu/~ssdavis1
80 Corolla GT-S   TE720408517   4A-GE  T-50  4.1:1
80 Corolla Wagon   TE7250*  3cylendar 3T-C (soon to be 13T-U)  Automatic
79 Triumph Spitfire 1500 convertable      Soon to be 4A-GE/T-50
85Coupe/85LB Corolla GT-S parts cars