Re: electronic ignition (why?)

To: rick <rbacon@netcom.ca>
Subject: Re: electronic ignition (why?)
From: "Michael D. Porter" <mdporter@rt66.com>
Date: Tue, 20 Jan 1998 17:27:19 -0800
Cc: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
rick wrote:

> what are the advantages of installing an electronic ignition in the TR6?
> I understand that worn distributors do not affect the systems performance
> but are there any other reasons? increased performance :) ?

Most modular electronic ignition systems available today have some clear
advantages. Points are eliminated, and therefore, so are the problems
associated with them--condenser failure, burning and pitting, regular
adjustment, etc. Instead of points, some systems use optical switching,
some use a polewheel and magnetic sensor to create pulses, etc. The
advantage of either is that there is no physical contact between the
parts, although, in theory, the optical system should be more tolerant
of worn distributor bushings because there's no pull from magnetic
field--in truth, that field is usually quite small, but can cause
irregular pulses due to shaft slop.

The other clear advantage is the higher coil voltage generated, and the
higher the voltage, the more likely there is to be a spark at the plug,
which generally translates to more even running and slightly more power.
And, since points are gone, potential rev limits can be higher because
there's no point bounce at high speed (although the true redline of the
engine is still essentially determined by the mechanical parts).

> Is a vacuum advance still needed?

For a basically stock engine, yes. The advance unit controls the timing
of the spark, not spark production. The electronic ignition controls
spark production.

Cheers.

--
My other Triumph runs, but....