Head games

To: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Head games
From: "Chris Lillja" <Chris_Lillja@Pupress.Princeton.Edu>
Date: Mon, 19 Jan 1998 10:05:05 EST
More input from the Wet Liner contingent....

I think one of the best things you can do to get a head off is to remove as
many as the
studs as you can... on my 4A I removed the nuts and soaked the studs with
liquid wrench
for 3 days. It would just soak right down. After this treatment 8 of 10 of the
suds
backed right out with two nuts backed up against each other. I used a 4' pipe
in the
intake port and she popped right off. (Don't know if those wimpy 6cyl castings
can handle
that, but I'm sure the steady pressure is is better than WHACKING it with a
hammer.) I
think the bottom line is to remove as many as the studs as possible, then they
can be
cleaned and checked for stretching. It makes it easier to use a nice solid
copper head
gasket.

....my two shillings...

"The difference between a horse and a goat is more than a pair of horns..." -
"Kas" Kastner

Chris Lillja
TR4A
Norton Commando