Re: Virus Warnings

To: Gerhard.Wiederholl@t-online.de
Subject: Re: Virus Warnings
From: James <james.carpenter@ukaea.org.uk>
Date: Mon, 19 Jan 1998 08:54:20 +0000
Cc: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Illegal-object: Syntax error in References: value found on gateway.ukaea.org.uk:References: <md5:2BECF264719A742FA9969BA7F1D1B3FC> ^-illegal end of message identification
I seem to remember a case from my computer system admin lectures,
although it is imposible to get a virus from reading an e-mail,
you can send an e-mail that will screw up the server.  Internet
worm I think.  If I remember it exploited the fact that the mail
deamon on the host server under unix had a bug, and that it ran
as a fixed user id process.  It was a way of getting into a system.
Don't ask me how, I was half asleep at the time (just been down the
SU bar).

--
James Carpenter
Yellow '79 spit wired by a trained marmot